Thursday, March 12, 2009

Amniotic Band Syndrome (ABS)

Amniotic Band Syndrome (ABS) also called Amniotic Constriction Band Syndrome is a set of congenital birth defects believed to be caused by entrapment of fetal parts (usually a limb or digits) in fibrous amniotic bands while in utero.

In other words: Before the baby was born the body part(s) that was affected by ABS (arm, fingers, toes, etc.,) was caught up and entangled in string-like bands. This caused abnormalities that were present at birth.

I had never heard of this before.

When my baby girl was born, I did the toe and finger count. When I got to her left foot, the toes look 'funny'. It was like her toes were squished together. The doctors nor nurses said not a thing. I thought this was normal and as time went on, the toes would fix up.

But, nothing fixed up.

I took her to my family doctor, and he was puzzled. We took her to a pediatrician. He gave us a very grave diagnosis. He said that Abby had ABS and to look it up on the internet. He said that she would need orthotics. He sent us on our way.

We were very puzzled, so we saw another pediatrician. This guy was a little better, but we were still left with questions that the internet did not answer.

Life went on. We tried not to make a big deal about her toes. She started walking. There was no problem what so ever. We all breathed a sigh of relief.

The other day Abby was dancing, and she was dancing on her toes! Little miracles like that make my life better.

It pains me a lot to see my baby's toes and it is hard to not feel like I did something wrong while I was pregnant. Until I knew what ABS was, I blamed my self. She is a beautiful girl and I hope that her toes do not affect her in life.
Share/Save/Bookmark
Post a Comment
Share/Save/Bookmark