Sunday, June 28, 2009

A letter to my daughter




To my precious daughter Abby;

First of all...Happy Birthday!!!

Where does the time go? Two years have flown by at such a fast speed. I am not sure if I like how fast this is happening.

I want you to know how much of a blessing you have been to me and your father. You came at a time in our life that was not expecting you.

Let me start from the beginning.

When I was first pregnant with your oldest brother, Kieran, I knew I wanted a boy. I think I would have been upset if he had been a girl. When I was pregnant with your other two brothers, Steven and Jacob, I didn't care if I had boys or girls. I had three boys! I thought my life was to be a mom with three boys. I was totally and completely happy.

Sometimes I watched moms and daughters and how they interacted and started to wish that I could have that. Your brothers would always ask for a sister. Daddy and I said we were done.

But a little part of me always wanted that little girl.

Then the unthinkable happened. Nine and a half years after I had Jacob I found that I was expecting again. I was stunned. Words cannot describe how I felt. Then I found out that you were going to be a girl. Doubly stunned! During the ultrasound when the technician told me that you were a girl I cried. How could I have possibly been blessed with a girl? After all these years of being a mom with three boys, I was going to have a girl.

Due to Dads health we were not sure how having a baby would fit into our lives. Your brothers were incredibly excited. Jacob would always talk to me belly. He made sure that he would talk to you at least once a day. Kieran and Steven would talk to you in my belly, but I think Kieran felt silly.

I was scared to buy girl clothes before you were born. I was almost afraid that if I bought girl clothes, you would be boy. After you were born, it took me thirty minutes in Old Navy to get up the nerve to look in the girl section. I was in unfamiliar territory. Now I can shop for your clothes with no problems. (I'm sure Dad wishes I didn't do it so often!)

Daddy, your brothers, and I fell head over heels in love with our little princess. I want to thank you for being in my life, our lives. You have been a blessing like you will never know. (even when you are screaming to get your own way) You gave your dad a reason for living again. You made me take time off work and to concentrate on my family more. You brought dad and I closer together.

May your life always be blessed.

Love, Mom



Share/Save/Bookmark
Post a Comment
Share/Save/Bookmark